The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development provides a co-curricular program to the WSU student that enhances their overall educational experience. Coupled with their intensive academic program, the co-curricular program allows the student to get the most out of their college experience. Through participation in leadership training, clubs and organizations, part time job opportunities, the student benefits by getting the real world experience of planning and implementing their own programs. These experiences allow the student to gain valuable life lessons such as time management and event planning, as well as other valuable leadership skills.
The purpose of the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development is to support the goals of the University by providing a co-curricular program and life skills laboratory. In the past, the Student Center has been referred to many times as the hearthstone or living room of the campus; and in a very real sense it is the living room of Worcester State University. It is a laboratory where students have an opportunity to learn and practice leadership programming, management, and interpersonal skills. Much of the diversity and vitality of any student center stems from the involvement of students. The strength of the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development is the student involvement either through employment or through membership in a student organization.
To accomplish our mission we strive to:
- Provide opportunities for students that will complement their academic program with various out of the classroom learning opportunities that will enhance their leadership qualities and personal skills
- Encourage and assist in the implementation of cultural, social and educational programming for the entire WSU community.
- Promote student development through employment opportunities, leadership development and student organization participation.
- Support and empower student leaders by serving as a resource for leadership training, event planning, and to recognize and reward their achievements.
- Oversee a clean and well maintained Student Center facility dedicated to addressing the needs of student leaders and the general student body by providing a welcoming, comfortable, and safe environment for the entire campus community.
- Assist in promoting a strong sense of community among resident and commuter students, faculty, and staff.
To be recognized for cultivating a welcoming, student friendly environment that fosters co-curricular learning and encourages personal development, community building, learning, leadership, and diverse programming.