Worcester State University

Academic Success Home
Academic Success

ASC Home
Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Services
Please contact the Academic Success Center if you wish to take a Leave of Absence or Withdraw from the University.  Please feel free to call or email if you have any questions. 
Phone: 508-929-8139   Email:  ASuccess@worcester.edu
Interested in taking time off from college?
If you have decided to take a semester or two off, you will need to complete the official Leave of Absence paperwork. 
  • Normally, a Leave of Absence is granted for one semester; however, a student may have up to one year to return to the University.  Failure to return at the specified time will result in an administrative withdrawal from the University. 
  • You will register as usual upon your return to the University.  You do not have to re-apply for admission. 
Looking to transfer or leave permanently?
You must fill out Withdrawal paperwork in order to officially separate yourself from the University. 
  • You will need to officially withdraw from school if you intend on attending another institution or if you have no plans to return to Worcester State University.
  • If you wish to return to Worcester State University you will have to apply for reinstatement through the Registrar’s Office.  If you have attended another institution you will need to re-apply through the Admissions Office. 
Consider the following:
  • Students who receive any form of Financial Aid or Veterans Education Benefits should consult with the respective office PRIOR to dropping or withdrawing from a course.  Reducing your hour credit load may adversely affect eligibility to receive aid.
  • There may be financial implications if you do not fill out the appropriate paperwork.  If you stop attending your courses it does not mean that you are withdrawn from those courses, have no more financial obligations or that your financial aid will remain the same.
  • Most private insurance companies require that students be full-time (12 credits or more) to be eligible for coverage.  Please check with your insurance company to make sure you will remain covered.
  • If the withdrawal or leave of absence is filed prior to the last day to withdraw from courses for the term, “W” will be recorded on the student’s record. Students who file for leave of absence or withdrawal after the last day to withdraw from courses for the term may petition if they feel circumstances warrant the recording of “W” for all courses enrolled for that term.
Related Links
  Academic Affairs
  Academic Calendar
  University Technology Services
  University Catalogs
  Undergraduate Programs
  WebAdvisor/Course Look-Up/Degree Audit
  Personal Counseling
  Succeed in 4

DataBridge © WSU, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602
Phone: 508-929-8000